Our recent review in Journal of Physics: Energy summarises the state-of-the-art in sodium-ion batteries:
Our Faraday Institution Insight article provides a general introduction:
We have listed further project publications below:
- Oxygen Redox Activity through a Reductive Coupling Mechanism in the P3-Type Nickel-Doped Sodium Manganese Oxide; Eun Jeong Kim, Le Anh Ma, Laurent C. Duda, David M. Pickup, Alan V. Chadwick, Reza Younesi, John T. S. Irvine, and A. Robert Armstrong; ACS Appl. Energy Mater.; Published: 26 December 2019.
- Advances in Organic Anode Materials for Na‐/K‐Ion Rechargeable Batteries; Aamod V. Desai, Russell E. Morris, and Anthony Robert Armstrong; ChemSusChem; Published: 16 July 2020.
- Surface engineering strategy using urea to improve the rate performance of Na2Ti3O7 in Na‐ion batteries; Sara I. R. Costa, Yong-Seok Choi, Alistair J Fielding, Andrew J Naylor, John M Griffin, Zdenek Sofer, David O Scanlon, Nuria Tapia Ruiz; Chemistry Europe; Published: 27 August 2020.
- Vacancy enhanced oxygen redox reversibility in P3-type magnesium doped sodium manganese oxide Na0.67Mg0.2Mn0.8O2; Eun Jeong Kim, Le Anh Ma, David Pickup, Alan V. Chadwick, Reza Younesi, Philip Maughan, John T. S. Irvine, A. Robert Armstrong; ACS Appl. Energy Mater.; Published: 29 September 2020.
- Activation of anion redox in P3 structure Na0.6Co0.2Mn0.8O2 via introduction of transition metal vacancies; Eun Jeong Kim, Kenza Mofredj, David M.Pickup, Alan V.Chadwick, John T.S.Irvine and A. Robert Armstrong; Journal of Power Sources; Published: 01 January 2021.
- Extending the Performance Limit of Anodes: Insights from Diffusion Kinetics of Alloying Anodes; Yong‐Seok Choi, David O. Scanlon and Jae‐Chul Lee; Advanced energy Material. Published: 28 December 2020.
- Complementary sample preparation strategies (PVD/BEXP) combining with multifunctional SPM for the characterizations of battery interfacial properties; Handian Pan, Yue Chen, Wenhui Pang, Hao Sun, Jiaxin Li, Yingbin Lin, Oleg Kolosov, Zhigao Huang; MethodsX; Published: 01 November 2020.
- Na2Fe(C2O4)(HPO4): a promising new oxalate-phosphate based mixed polyanionic cathode for Li/Na ion batteries; Pramanik A, Bradford A, Lee S, Lightfoot P, Armstrong A; J. Phys. Mat.; Published 25 February 2021.
- Surface or bulk? Real-time manganese dissolution detection in a lithium-ion cathode; Shahin Nikman , Dongni Zhao, Violeta Gonzalez-Perez, Harry H. Hoster, Stijn F. L. Mertens; Electrochimica Acta; Published: 24 April 2021.
- 2021 roadmap for sodium-ion batteries; Nuria Tapia-Ruiz, A Robert Armstrong, Hande Alptekin, Marco A Amores, Heather Au, Jerry Barker, Rebecca Boston, William R Brant, Jake M Brittain, Yue Chen, Manish Chhowalla, Yong-Seok Choi, Sara I R Costa, Maria Crespo Ribadeneyra, Serena A Cussen, Edmund J Cussen, William I F David, Aamod V Desai, Stewart A M Dickson, Emmanuel I Eweka, Juan D Forero-Saboya, Clare P Grey, John M Griffin, Peter Gross, Xiao Hua, John T S Irvine, Patrik Johansson, Martin O Jones, Martin Karlsmo, Emma Kendrick, Eunjeong Kim, Oleg V Kolosov, Zhuangnan Li, Stijn F L Mertens, Ronnie Mogensen, Laure Monconduit, Russell E Morris, Andrew J Naylor, Shahin Nikman, Christopher A O’Keefe, Darren M C Ould, R G Palgrave, Philippe Poizot, Alexandre Ponrouch, Stéven Renault, Emily M Reynolds, Ashish Rudola, Ruth Sayers, David O Scanlon, S Sen, Valerie R Seymour, Begoña Silván, Moulay Tahar Sougrati, Lorenzo Stievano, Grant S Stone, Chris I Thomas, Maria-Magdalena Titirici, Jincheng Tong, Thomas J Wood, Dominic S Wright and Reza Younesi; J Phys Energy; Published: 26 July 2021.
- P2–Na2/3Mg1/4Mn7/12Co1/6O2 cathode material based on oxygen redox activity with improved first-cycle voltage hysteresis; Nuria Tapia-Ruiz, Cindy Soares, James W.Somerville, Robert A.House, Juliette Billaud, Matthew R.Roberts, Peter G.Bruce; Journal of Power Sources; Published: 15 September 2021.
- Sodium-Ion Batteries: Current Understanding of the Sodium Storage Mechanism in Hard Carbons; Jack Fitzpatrick, and Sara Costa Rodrigues, and Nuria Tapia-Ruiz; Johnson Matthey Technology Review; Published: 29 June 2021.
- Controlling Interfacial Reduction Kinetics and Suppressing Electrochemical Oscillations in Li4Ti5O12 Thin-Film Anodes; Yue Chen, Handian Pan, Chun Lin, Jiaxin Li, Rongsheng Cai, Sarah J. Haigh, Guiying Zhao, Jianmin Zhang, Yingbin Lin, Oleg V. Kolosov, and Zhigao Huang; Advanced Functional Materials; Published: 06 August 2021.
- Correlating Local Structure and Sodium Storage in Hard Carbon Anodes: Insights from Pair Distribution Function Analysis and Solid-State NMR; Joshua M. Stratford, Annette K. Kleppe, Dean S. Keeble, Philip A. Chater, Seyyed Shayan Meysami, Christopher J. Wright, Jerry Barker, Maria-Magdalena Titirici, Phoebe K. Allan, and Clare P. Grey; JACS; Published: 25 August 2021.
- Ion dynamics in fluoride-containing polyatomic anion cathodes by muon spectroscopy; Beth Johnston, Peter J Baker and Serena Cussen; J Phys Materials; Published: 01 September 2021.
- New Route to Battery Grade NaPF6 for Na-Ion Batteries: Expanding the Accessible Concentration; Darren M. C. Ould, Svetlana Menkin ,Christopher A. O’Keefe, Fazlil Coowar, Jerry Barker, Clare P. Grey, Dominic Wright; Angewandte Chemie; Published: 14 September 2021.
- Mechanochemical synthesis of sodium carboxylates as anode materials in sodium ion batteries; Daniel N. Rainer, Aamod V. Desai, A. Robert Armstrong, Russell E. Morris; J. Mater. Chem. A; Published: 2 November 2021.
- Exploring solid-electrolyte-interphase in rechargeable batteries: New methodology for nanoscale studies via “3D Nanorheology Microscopy”; Yue Chen, Oleg V. Kolosov; Imaging & Microscopy; Published: 17 November 2021.
- Solvothermal Synthesis of a Novel Calcium Metal-Organic Framework: High Temperature and Electrochemical Behaviour; Russell M. Main, David B. Cordes, Aamod V. Desai, Alexandra M. Z. Slawin, Paul Wheatley, A. Robert Armstrong, Russell E. Morris; Molecules; Published: 22 November 2021.
- Rapid microwave-assisted synthesis and electrode optimization of organic anode materials in sodium-ion batteries; Aamod V. Desai, Daniel N. Rainer, Atin Pramanik, Joel M. Cabañero, Russell E. Morris, A. Robert Armstrong; Small Methods; Published: 15 December 2021.
- Na2.4Al0.4Mn2.6O7 anionic redox cathode material for sodium-ion batteries – a combined experimental and theoretical approach to elucidate its charge storage mechanism; Cindy Soares, Begoña Silván, Yong-Seok Choi, Veronica Celorrio, Valerie R. Seymour, Giannantonio Cibine, John M. Griffin, David O. Scanlon and Nuria Tapia-Ruiz; J. Mater. Chem. A; Published: 16 December 2021.
- A structural investigation of organic battery anode materials by NMR crystallography; Tommy Whewell, Valerie R. Seymour, Kieran Griffiths, Nathan R. Halcovitch, Aamod V. Desai, Russell E. Morris, A. Robert Armstrong, John M. Griffin; Magn. Reson. Chem.; Published: 12 Jauary 2022.
- Importance of superstructure in stabilizing oxygen redox in P3- Na0.67Li0.2Mn0.8O2; Eun Jeong Kim, Philip A. Maughan, Euan Bassey, Raphaële J. Clément, Le Anh Ma, Laurent C. Duda, Divya Sehrawat, Reza Younesi. Neeraj Sharma, Clare P. Grey, A. Robert Armstrong; Adv. Energy Materials; Published: 20 January 2022.
- Enhanced Oxygen Redox Reversibility and Capacity Retention of Titanium-Substituted Na4/7[□1/7Ti1/7Mn5/7]O2 in Sodium-Ion Batteries; Stephanie Linnell, Eun Jeong Kim, Yong-Seok Choi, Moritz Hirsbrunner, Saki Imada, Atin Pramanik, Aida Fuente Cuesta, David Miller, Edoardo Fusco, Bela E Bode, John Irvine, Laurent Duda, David O. Scanlon and Anthony Robert Armstrong; J. Mater. Chem. A; Published: 30 March 2022.
- Exploring the gel part of solid-state interphase in rechargeable batteries via 3D Nanorheology microscopy; Yue Chen and Oleg Kolosov; Microanalysis and Analysis; Published: March 2022.
- Sodium Borates: Expanding the Electrolyte Selection for Sodium-Ion Batteries; Darren M. C. Ould, Svetlana Menkin, Holly E. Smith, Victor Riesgo Gonzalez, Erlendur Jónsson, Christopher A. O’Keefe, Fazlil Coowar, Jerry Barker, Andrew D. Bond, Clare P. Grey, Dominic Wright; Angewandte Chemie; Published: 12 April 2022.
- Enhanced Cycling Stability in the Anion Redox Material P3-Type Zn-Substituted Sodium Manganese Oxide; Stephanie F. Linnell, Moritz Hirsbrunner, Saki Imada, Giannantonio Cibin, Aaron B. Naden, Alan V. Chadwick, John T. S. Irvine, Laurent C. Duda, Anthony Robert Armstrong; ChemElectroChem; Published: 20 April 2022.